Saturday 15 August 2009

Art Deco staircase..


I found this very interesting staircase at the Villa Des Arts Gallery in Casablanca. It was a very small gallery, that had various contemporary moroccan paintings and international arts for display. The building had been converted into an Art Deco gallery in 1999, and that's when it opened up as Villa des Arts. The villa is owned by the ONA foundation, which is one of the largest industrial holding companies in Morocco. However, even though I went to see some nice paintings I did not understand exactly the information being displayed beside each painting as it was in French. English is not a popular language spoken by others in the country itself. I found this staircase so 'cool' if I could put it in my own words. As soon as you enter the gallery, the staircase is in front of you leading to the upper floor. It looks like a great amount of black ink has been splashed all over the stairs, but that's how the design is meant to be. The black ink design starts from the upper floor and comes down to the staircase. I think its a great idea.

2 comments:

  1. That does look "cool" but also seems a bit sad that such a once beautiful staircase has been tainted.

    Its just making a point I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it makes it more special and unique really..

    ReplyDelete