Tuesday 29 September 2009

Saadian tombs



On my visit in Marrakesh, Morocco I went to visit the Saadian tombs. These tombs had been hidden for centuries until they became rediscovered again sometime under 1917. I have to say when I went to visit the surroundings around the tombs were so beautiful. There were colourful tiles, beautifully crafted walls with Arabic writings around them and with greenery and nature all around the place which made it such a nice and quiet environment to be in. From the information I gathered when I was there, I had been told that the first burial took place in 1557, and the huge walls and buildings around the tombs were constructed under Sultan Ahmed Al Mansour ruling. When the next ruler took over, he decided to seal up the burial grounds and the last burial there was said to have been taken place in 1792. Under all this time these Saadian tombs had been forgotten and only re-discovered again in 1917 when the construction of a French passageway was being built in the area.


The interior had so many details to look at, and the queue to look was really long. Sadly, my camera died on me at the time so I was only able to get few shots, the rest I have uploaded from my phone. You can see the Arabic writings from the graves where Quranic verses had been written.

No comments:

Post a Comment